Followers

Thursday, January 20, 2011

Les Miserables

My dad had begged me for years to read this French classic, but what really got me on it was reading the super-abridged version in French class. So I decided to have a crack at the full-length English version that's been looming in one of our many bookshelves for years. Inside I found an indiscernible note and a 30 year old bus ticket that made a nice bookmark. But on to the story!
Like most teenagers these days, I had my trepidations about settling in to read a classic, especially one that looked thick enough to knock someone out with. But, being the avid reader that I am (and perhaps wanting some bragging rights) I forged ahead. At first, the book seemed to be headed no where, and I slogged through long descriptions of the tiny French village of Digne, but it was well written, and encouraged me to keep going.
Enter Jean Valjean, ex-convict and man who's soul is on the line. Imprisoned for 19 years for stealing a loaf of bread to feed his starving family, Jean Valjean has recently been granted parole. I won't give anything away, but I must say Valjean has moved onto my list of best literary characters of all time. He's deeply troubled, but has an inherent goodness to him that makes him someone you wish you knew. He always tries to do the right thing, and I found myself silently cheering him on as he struggled with his criminal past, and the officer intent on tracking him down: the infamous Inspector Javert.
Although Javert is loathsome in personality, I thoroughly enjoyed him as well, and was somewhat shocked as to how his part in the story ended (Again, I refrain from spoilers). He made an excellent villain, and the cat-and-mouse play between himself and Valjean kept me on the edge of my seat as Valjean maneuvered his way out of impossible situations, a few times with an orphaned girl (the lovely Cosette) on his back.
The love story between Marius and Cosette is very sweet and touching, but it was the effects of losing Cosette that befell Valjean that interested me the most. He truly grew to love her as a daughter and losing her ultimately was worse for him than returning to the Gallares.
So, was this book an easy read? Definitely not. I don't recommend it for the casual reader. But for those of you with some literary prowess under your belt, and a lot of free time, I fully support this. It has well-earned it's place amongst the classics.
They were...les miserables.

Side note: The Hunger Games poll was a tie between Rue and Haymitch.

No comments:

Post a Comment